Skip to main content

Upcoming titles

 From Nija:

Hello All - 
If you did not make it to our meeting today and you would like the two hours of PD credit, please respond on the blog by Wednesday. Attendance will be submitted on Thursday (12/3) morning. 

Below are the readings for the next few months. 

December  - The Death of Vivich Oji by Akwaeke Emezi\
January - What is Not Yours Is Not Yours by Helen Oyeyemi and "Here for It" by R. Eric Thomas - (choose one)
February - Born a Crime - Trevor Noah (link below)

Comments

  1. For me, the Death of Vivich Oji by Akwaeke Emezi was an amazing novel. I typically do not read fiction, but this book unearthed memories and emotions I had not felt in many years. The relationship between Ocita and Vivek reminded me of a similar relationship I had when I was a teenager. Having to hide the love you have for someone is difficult enough but when you are afraid to the point of hurting the very object of your affection, something is very wrong.

    Vivek's mother reminded me of my own mother and the deep-seated disdain she had for the gay community. Vivek's mother, Cavita, only realized how she and her husband created a home where Vivek could not feel comfortable and safe until it was too late. Vivek only felt happy and comfortable turning to his close friends for acceptance and safety to express his true self.

    I was surprised at the number of sex scenes in this novel. They were handled with finesse by the author and I could appreciate the imagery and language used to create the scenes. However, I am not sure I would feel comfortable using this novel in school due its graphic nature. Maybe I am just being old fashioned. But the themes and message are so good and I think the students would so enjoy it, especially because of the LGBTQAI+ issues, which are all present in the novel that it may be well worth the attempt.

    The one scene that will stick with me is near the end of the book, when Ocita is telling us what actually happened to Vivek the day he died. I am still angry that Ocita did not tell Cavita the truth. I think this is what would most likely happen in real life, but I wanted Ocita set free as well.

    Overall, I highly recommend this novel for an adult audience. I am not sure that I would use it in school, though I truly would like to. I would be open to suggestions on how this book could be used in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

September 2024 Felix Ever After by Kacen Callendar

  According to Goodreads . . . Felix Love has never been in love—and, yes, he’s painfully aware of the irony. He desperately wants to know what it’s like and why it seems so easy for everyone but him to find someone. What’s worse is that, even though he is proud of his identity, Felix also secretly fears that he’s one marginalization too many—Black, queer, and transgender—to ever get his own happily-ever-after. When an anonymous student begins sending him transphobic messages—after publicly posting Felix’s deadname alongside images of him before he transitioned—Felix comes up with a plan for revenge. What he didn’t count on: his catfish scenario landing him in a quasi–love triangle.... But as he navigates his complicated feelings, Felix begins a journey of questioning and self-discovery that helps redefine his most important relationship: how he feels about himself. Felix Ever After  is an honest and layered story about identity, falling in love, and recognizing the love you d...

April Selections--Recommended Reading

Please post in the comments any books you would recommend for our students to read.  If you can also provide a short summary of the book (cut and paste from Amazon) or your own thoughts from reading it, that would be great! Example: WINNER of the NATIONAL BOOK AWARD for FICTION Finalist for the Kirkus Prize Finalist for the Andrew Carnegie Medal Publishers Weekly  Top 10 of 2017   "The heart of Jesmyn Ward's  Sing, Unburied, Sing  is story - the yearning for a narrative to help us understand ourselves, the pain of the gaps we'll never fill, the truths that are failed by words and must be translated through ritual and song...Ward's writing throbs with life, grief, and love, and this book is the kind that makes you ache to return to it." (Buzzfeed)  In Jesmyn Ward's first novel since her National Book Award-winning  Salvage the Bones , this singular American writer brings the archetypal road novel into rural 21st-century America. An intimate p...

Lovecraft Country Matt Ruff

http://www.bymattruff.com/my-novels/lovecraft-country/ A novel of Jim Crow America that melds historical fiction, pulp noir, and Lovecraftian horror and fantasy. Chicago, 1954. When his father goes missing, twenty-two-year-old Army veteran Atticus Turner embarks on a road trip to New England to find him, accompanied by his uncle George—publisher of  The Safe Negro Travel Guide —and his childhood friend Letitia. On their journey to the manor of Samuel Braithwhite—heir to the estate that owned one of Atticus’s ancestors—they encounter both the mundane terrors of white America and malevolent spirits that seem straight out of the weird tales George devours. Atticus discovers his father in chains, held prisoner by a secret cabal, the Order of the Ancient Dawn—led by Braithwhite and his son Caleb—which has gathered to perform a ritual that shockingly centers on Atticus. And his one hope of salvation may be the seed of his—and the whole Turner clan’s—destruction. A chimerical b...